Thursday, April 14, 2016

Process

Drawing stuff is pretty simple, aside from motivation and practice, but i wanted to show the basic way I do this,

I usually start with a pencil sketch. Depending on how much I know what I am drawing before hand, this can take anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour. Complexity has a factor in it as well, this one took about 45 minutes.


After that I scan it and start inking, though I'll admit that about 80% of stuff I scan never get past that point. Inking is easy enough but if you want it to be really smooth you have to take is really slow. I personally prefer a more natural look to my lines, as long as they still look good I don't mind if they are a bit jittery. Again depending on complexity, this can take about 30-45 minutes. Also this step almost always guarantees that I will make a finished piece if I do it.


Coloring takes longer, I start with rough flat colors and then attempt to shade them, Once the shading looks good I attempt to erase all the coloring that is outside the lines and make sure everything looks good, detail gets added as well. Overall this process can take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours.
Backgrounds allow for more creativity, but can be daunting when you aren't sure what to put there. Because of this they also vary the most in time. I can put together a rough easy background in a few minutes, but it looks genuinely rough and is mostly there so pictures don't look flat, a more complex one like this can take a couple hours, I treat these backgrounds like water colors, placing colors in ways that look good but are more natural, this is why I don't usually have lines in them


So there you go, I don't know how helpful this will be but it should at least allow people to figure out the answer to the question "how do you do this?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment